Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Ch. 5 - Fuselage sides RH - Part 3


Glassing the top longeron (3.4 hrs)
Once again a longeron needs glassing, but this time I decided to "pre-preg" it to keep things clean. If you just joined us, this means that I added epoxy to the fiberglass strips once they were stacked, and within two sheets of plastic.

UNI cut the long way


UNI stacked and within plastic


Epoxy added to UNI sandwich


Epoxy thoroughly squeegeed

Since last time I had a little difficulty conforming the fiberglass to the 90˚ corner where the wood meets the sidewall, I decided create a flox fillet to ease the transition. 
Because this fillet is 103” (2.6 m) long, and to automate somewhat the process, I put the flox paste in a ziplock bag...


... cut a corner...


... and used it the same way you garnish a cake.


Once the flox was in place, I went back with a tongue depressor to remove the excess.


With the stage set, it was time to use the pre-preg UNI to cover the longeron in correspondence of the doubler. It basically went on like a Band-Aid, just peel the backing plastic sheet off, and stick it to the longeron.

Pre-preg in position

Using a squeegee, I gently contoured it to the longeron...


... then peel the backing plastic off...


Done!
At this point I repeated the process with two longer pieces of BID that would cover the entire longeron, overlapping in the middle.

This will be cut into two strips later


Doing "my thing"


BID ready to be cut and used


Bid strip in place


Peeling off the plastic backing

Lastly as always, I used my 1” (2.54 cm) wide roll of peel-ply to straddle the edge of the fiberglass for smooth results.

Peel-ply straddling the fiberglass edge

The fuselage side will cure overnight.

Right sidewall curing


No comments:

Post a Comment