Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ch. 5 - Fuselage side LH - Part 6


Trimming hard fiberglass   (1.4 hrs)
While the slurry was curing on the right sidewall, I took some time to take care of a remaining issue on the left sidewall.
The plans specify not to glass above "Water Line" WL 12.35 (12.35" up from the zero reference level). That’s more easily said than done! It is pretty hard to be that precise while applying the 15 plies of BID. So, I decided not to worry about such precision during glassing, and go back and trim it at a later date.
I knew it could be done precisely, but I was not quite sure how to do it.
What I used is a sanding attachment mounted to my Dremel tool, and a metal bar to prevent me from going to far with it, and to keep things straight. 

I know, I know, this is the best I could come up with in a short time. But it worked!

I also stuck the business end of my shop-vac near the cutting area, to avoid making a cloud of itchy fiberglass. 

The vacuum hose worked really well to keep things clean

I used a straight edge to make sure I didn’t cut into the lower 6 BID layers, and the result was excellent.

Buildup shaved to WL 12.35

I will do more of this kind of grinding to the sides of the buildups, after I finalize the position of the gear mounts.


No comments:

Post a Comment