Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

What's a Long EZ anyway?

I have been involved in aviation my entire life as a general aviation, military, and airline pilot, and have not had enough of it yet, but I have always wondered what I'd do about flying after I retire.


For many years I have been playing with the idea of building my own airplane, but the timing was never right. Either the money was tight, the children still young, the planets not perfectly aligned, ...


In hindsight, I should have started anyway, but now that I have, I will probably spend the next decade working on the construction. Yes, I am enrolled in the "slow-track" since my work keeps me away from home over half the month, but that is no longer what I consider a good excuse.


Which brings us to the Long EZ.


I spent a very long time trying to figure out which plane would best fit my needs. I wanted quick and economical long range capability first of all, with tandem seating for me and a passenger, better than General Aviation performance, and ease of construction, and it would have to look cool, of course.


My list of possible airplanes dwindled very quickly. In the end all it took was one ride and I was sold on the design. It was the most fun I had had in a long time, and I literally could not stop smiling for hours afterward. 


Well, I just had to give up on the ease of construction part.


So let me introduce you to the Long EZ...



 



Beautiful isn't she? Hopefully mine will look just like it in the not too distant future.








If you want to know more about it you can check out the Wikipedia post here, or the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.



1 comment: