Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Ch. 5 - Fuselage sides LH - Part 5


Gear hard-point glassed (8.1 hrs)


I started the morning making sure the foam did not stick up above the wood...


... then marked the positions of the local buildup for the gear mount extrusions...


... taped anywhere I did not want epoxy to go...


and cut all the fiberglass I needed.


For the eagle-eyed out there, the bigger fiberglass pieces should have been cut at a bias. I didn’t realize what I had done until after I took the picture, and ended up having to cut it again.
The big plies went on as usual...


... but I decided to pre-preg the next two 15 plies buildup, to make things less messy.





Next, I peel-plied everything. 
No more “Mr. Nice Guy”!
I am sick of the little peel-ply strands leftover after removal!





The next morning I ripped it all off... 


... and I still had the strands to contend with!


I think I’ll use a single sheet of peel ply next time.
Here’s what it looks like after trimming it, and attempting to remove the loose strands by sanding.


This side is nearly done. All that is left, is to drill eight 1/4” bolt holes, and attach the landing gear mounts.


But I still have to counterbore four of its holes, Alodine it, and make some steel bushings for the main bolt holes (to be slightly enlarged) to reduce future wear.
Stay tuned, I will start the right sidewall soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment