Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Ch. 5 - Fuselage sides - Part 4


Extending LWY  (1.0 hrs)


I must have cut my LWYs slightly short, because they don't extend completely through the firewall. I’m not sure why the plans don’t leave them a couple of inches longer, to be trimmed later.





This is not a big deal. I could fill the gap in with a heavy blob of flox, but I wanted to try something different, and lighter.

I decided to lengthen them slightly. Unfortunately, the LWYs cross section offers a small surface area to bond an extension to, and because more bonding surface equals more strength, I wanted to try to increase the surface area that the flox would adhere to as much as possible. 

This is what I came up with. 


Extensions with 30˚ grooves cut with the table saw




Matching groves in LWY cut by hand with a saw


Left sidewall with LWY extension floxed

Right sidewall with LWY extension floxed

Extensions curing overnight

Finished extensions now protruding through the firewall


No comments:

Post a Comment