Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ch. 6 - Fuselage assembly - Part 10


Landing gear bolt access hole (1.2 hrs)  

In the future it might come a time when the landing gear needs to be removed, so access to the gear bolts needs to be provided for, by way of holes cut into the back seat.

The manual addresses this with a note at the bottom of page 6-3.

"Really?! Now you tell me!"


I suppose this is going to look like an afterthought, nevertheless it is now necessary to cut another hole into my beautiful rear seat.

Luckily the right bolt has a clear path through the seat already, so I can leave that side alone.


No problem reaching this bolt


The left side is where the problem lies. There is just no way to remove the bolt.


This bolt cannot be removed as is.

I've got to cut another access hole into my "Swiss cheese" rear seat


Using a drill first, and then my dremel tool, I was able to open up the smallest hole big enough for the bolt to fit through.


"Coming through!"


Obviously the hole needs to be able to accommodate a 9/16” socket, or it would be of limited usefulness, so I enlarged it a bit, and tested it out.


Keeping an eye out for future maintenance




At least this rear seat is well ventilated!


I was glad to be able to get away with just a hole, and not have to rip more structure off the seat. It did get pretty close though, as the remaining foam and fiberglass is pretty small toward the sidewall. Still, it’s got to be better than another ginormous hole.


I can count 4 holes in this picture alone. 2 more are on the other side.



No comments:

Post a Comment