Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Ch. 4 - F28 - Part 1

F28 glassing - front side (1.4 hrs)
F28 is the last foam bulkhead I had left to make. 
In “Ch. 4 - F22 - Part 2” I cut F28 out of two pieces of foam, and the time has now come to put them together.
I discussed the different uses for pure-epoxy/micro-balloons mix in “Epoxy 101. Basically, once a honey-like consistence is reached, it can be used to glue pieces of foam, enough said.
While it’s not the most exciting of subjects, I wanted to talk about it in order to highlight another crafty, though unusual technique. Simply enough, it consists of taping the back of the two sides to each other.

F28 back side


One of the benefits, is that you can now easily access the joint, confident that it will readily return back where it belongs.



Even better, the wet-micro can be placed in the gap without any mess on the backside.



Now you set the piece back on the table... 



... and clean up the excess with paper towel. 



That’s it! Glueing is done! Cleaning is done! 

Moving on to glassing.
The plastic sheet technique worked so well on F22, that I decided to use it again on F28, after slurrying.



The two plies of BID went on quickly...



Then I glassed some 3” peel-ply on top of it, and it was done.



On a different subject, here’s a toy... I mean tool... I picked up at Lowes. You can easily make sure the part is still “in the zone” without even touching it.



I just had to have it!

The next morning I peeled the tape off the back of F28...




... and trimmed and sanded the edges.





No comments:

Post a Comment