Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Saturday, February 25, 2023

Shop preparation - Part 8

Big-Table extensions


With the right wing foam glued into one solid piece (minus the leading edge), and the wing attachment bolt recesses carved and fiberglassed, it is time to start working on the wing spar-cap.

Unfortunately, with the wing mounted vertically on top of the table, trailing edge down, it is way too high up for me to be able to reach and do any quality structural work.

So, I decided that if I couldn’t bring the wing to my level, I’d bring myself to its level by creating some kind of removable platforms able to withstand a real beating… I mean… repeated use.

I also did not want permanent structures, and I needed them to be easily removable on top of that, as in “a couple of screws” easy.

I decided to capture the main support beams of the new platforms within the structure of the big table by adding a few 2x4 drops in compression. This type of geometry requires no hardware to provide the necessary strength, and just uses a few screws to prevent things from sliding out of position.

It worked like a charm!

Let me show you...

 

Strategically located 2x4 drops

Cutting the structural support members

Support members and secondary structure

Detail of the structural geometry interplay (no screws fastening platform members)

More details on opposite end of table

Still no screws on platform at this point

The platforms can also be inserted on the far side of the table if needed

Floating platforms... kewl!





This is how it will be used

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment