Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ch. 4 - Rear seat - Part 2


Rear seat (6.1 hrs)


The back side of the rear seat is the first real opportunity to work with an other-than-flat surface. 
Historically, builders have had their first head scratcher when laying the flat pieces of BID over this soon-to-be wavy surface. This is because the fiberglass tends to lift off the foam in many places, and introduce big air pockets under the weave, so the job becomes a little more complicated.
As on the front seat, the work began by shaping top and bottom at an angle, and since the table saw worked so well then, I decided to reenlist it for this job.

Top cut at 45˚


The foam is then removed from the outer 1.3”. Very carefully, I used the table saw again, staying away from the fiberglass. Then I sanded the last 1/8” or so of foam and slurry away by hand.

Bottom cut at 35˚, side foam removed


The hard foam corners were beveled inward 1.5”, and all corners rounded with sandpaper.
Because the seat is 2” wider than plans, I elongated the hole in the rear seat by that much. This hole will create access to a few items that will eventually go behind the back seat, like the main gear attachment points, and break lines fittings. 

A slightly bigger hole means slightly easier maintenance.

2" wider access hole


I cut vertically down to the fiberglass with a razor-knife...



... then I used my vibrating cutter to remove the foam. I was surprised at how difficult that was, and chose such gadget only after running out of better ways to do the job.



Next, I beveled the inside corner...



... and sanded everything smooth. A few chunks of foam bordering the fiberglass did not survive the process. The holes got filled later with dry micro.



Top and bottom of this piece needed a flox-corner, so I used my Dremel tool to remove the foam, then sanded the resulting channel to remove the micro-balloons from the back side of the fiberglass.

Slot ready for flox


I used a few leftover BID pieces with a minimum 1” overlap as the first ply, followed by a whole BID piece. This made laying the ply on the contoured shape a lot easier than it would have otherwise been.
While cutting the fiberglass, I marked the fibers orientation on the multiple BID pieces with a black marker, so that I would not get confused later.



The last step in the fabrication of the back seat, is cutting the access hole in the middle, while leaving 0.7” of glass-to-glass bond.



On the front side, I marked the places where the slots for cables and controls will go, but I will do the cutting later on.



No comments:

Post a Comment