Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Ch. 4 - F22 - Part 4

F-22 glassing - back side (4.6 hrs)
Once again the plan calls for reusing leftover BID pieces for F-22, with appropriate overlap, so I gathered all my remnants and went to work as usual.
I slurried the foam piece...



... glassed it, making sure to leave 1” or more of overlap between cloth pieces...



... slurried and pressed the doubler into position on F22, glassed it, scissor trimmed it and peel-plied it.



I added a strip of plastic over the doubler to prevent it from sticking to my “load distribution device” (aka flat piece of leftover wood) and applied constant pressure by means of weights. Finally, I let the piece cure for 24 hrs at a shop temperature of 80℉. 



The next day I removed the weights and the plastic...



... and got started trimming the excess fiberglass with my vibrating cutter...



After a little sanding, the finished piece (back side only) emerged, ready for a photo op.

My nephew holding F-22 (and a slice of pizza). Peel-ply was marked, reminding me to remove it before final assembly.



No comments:

Post a Comment