Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

CNC mill conversion - Part 9

Stepper motor first test
Today I received the long awaited male-male DB25 cable from Jameco.com, and I was finally able to make the connection between the motor drivers and the computer.

That was the easy part. Setting up the software was a lot more challenging, and although I am not finished with it yet, I've gotten far enough to be able to run the motors, at last.

So, I took a quick video of the motors cutting an imaginary circular hole 2" wide by 0.950" deep (5 cm x 2.4 cm).




"Mach 3" running the stepper motors



UPDATE #1

I finally got it all put together, and started cutting some soft scrap plywood as a first test. 





First test cut with the 2 axes CNC mill



Later in the day, I found that the X axis stop-nut locking bolts were completely loose, and the resulting gap manifested itself as an appalling 0.040" (1 mm) backlash. At the time of the test cut, I had used the backlash compensation provided by the software just so that I'd have something to try cutting on.

While the software compensation is a good thing, it is not designed to offset such a huge amount, so the slot turned out a few thousands short in the X axis, and that's why I had to use a mallet to tap the metal piece into the slot in the video.

After tightening the loose bolts, I was able to measure an X axis backlash of 0.0035" (89 microns), and a Y axis of 0.0025" (63 microns), both of which are easily handled by the compensating code.

My plan for shrinking the backlash even further to nearly zero, is to acquire ball-nut bearing balls that are 0.0015" and 0.001" oversize, and use them to repack the ball-nuts. 

 
Trying a few more test cuts


UPDATE #2

This time I used the mill to surface an aluminum plate that will become part of the Z axis assembly. Things did not work out correctly right off the bat, but in the end I was able to get the mill to work as I was hoping it would. I tried cleaning up the noise as much as possible from this video without removing my voice, but the sound still sucks. 






First cuts on aluminum


No comments:

Post a Comment