Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Ch. 6 - Fuselage assembly - Part 13


Fuselage bottom - final carving (4.0 hrs)  

I have been waiting for the nose wheel cover for some time, and now that it has finally arrived from FeatherLite, I  can continue carving the floor forward of the instrument panel.

First thing I did was tracing the outside of the part in its proper position. 


Foam simulating the instrument panel (a machinist's square is in the back)


Then I traced the inside, and used a saber saw to cut the foam along the inner line.


Inner line represents the exterior wall of the nose gear recess

Cutting the inside of the wheel well


This process was very simple and resulted in a nice big hole.


If every job could be this easy...

Hole as seen from the nose wheel as it retracts


Once again, I used the router to clear as much foam as possible to the charted depth of 1” (2.54 cm).


I had to freehand the curves

Foam removed to final depth


I used a small hand saw to quickly cut the slopes of the depressions.


I tried to protect the foam bottom with a cardboard insert, I later discarded it.


A lot of sanding later, I arrived to the final configuration.


All the foam carving is done!

The next step will be the biggest layup to date




No comments:

Post a Comment