Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Shop preparation - Part 5


Leveling the big table  

Once I start assembling the fuselage, I will need to level the structure as precisely as possible, and it would help to start with a leveled table to begin with.

I am sure everyone knows that garage floors are NOT level on purpose. But if you don’t have a garage, this little fact might come as a surprise. The very good reason for slanting the garage floor toward the door, is to promote water exiting the structure, should it ever get in it in the first place.

A common slant is 1” drop (2.5 cm) for every 10’ (3 m). Since my table is 11’ long, I would have to raise the low end 1.1” or so.

I started out with shims, and quickly realized that it was not such a good idea. It takes about 5 shims to arrive to 1.1”, a shaky proposition at best.

Wanting a solid platform for my critical assemblies, I decided to carefully measure and cut some risers, then glued them underneath the legs of the table.


Two 1.17" risers

Risers getting smaller further away from the garage doors


Once I started cutting, I couldn’t stop until the table was level in every direction.




Middle of the table - across

Middle of the table - long way

Right side of the table - across

Left side of the table - across

Middle of the table - diagonal


This process consumed almost half a day, and I even ended  up power-sanding the tip of my left index finger (painful picture mercifully withheld).

I think the new leveled table will be a great help in the future, since most of what I’ll be working on from now on will require to be perfectly horizontal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment