Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Ch. 6 - Fuselage assembly - Part 2


Initial fitting (8.0 hrs)  

More than half of this time was spent measuring, sanding, removing peel ply, trial fitting, more sanding, more fitting, power-sanding, going too deep with the power-sander, cussing, patching the brand new low spot with fiberglass, going back to hand-sanding...

In a moment of weakness I have to admit to wishing I was building a metal plane.

Who knew that composite airplane building was such a contact-sport? The next morning  I couldn’t even clench a fist, let alone raise my arms.


Checking the fit of the front seat

Finalizing the front seat location

No, I did not make this up! This ensures the seat goes back in the same place, later. Nails will be removed.

Fitting F-22

Same thing from the opposite side

Screws help locate the bulkhead. They will be removed later on as well.

Rear seat fitted and screwed to the right sidewall.

Same thing on left sidewall.


Finally, everything seemed to fit just right, so I put the 3D jigsaw puzzle together. 

Having someone to help support the parts while the structure took shape, would have helped, but given the late hour, I was flying solo on this one.


Upside-down fuselage on carefully shaped and leveled wooden blocks.

Front view

More frontal nudity!

Ok! Let's keep it clean...

I might need to reposition a few of the clamps.

The only negative G this bird will ever pull.


One word of caution if you choose to use the same threaded studs as I did: 

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

Although I am very careful around those studs, and I tie bright lines to them to enhance their presence, last night I had one  of them go straight for my left eye, as I raised my head after tightening the bottom bolt.

Had it not been for my safety glasses, this would have been the last construction post.

They might not be pretty, and you might look like a dork with them on, but you'll be a two-eyed dork!

As a matter of fact, wear them anytime you are in the shop.

I'm sure glad I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment