Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Epoxy 102


Un-Gelling the hardener
Before I left for my latest trip, I ran into a problem when I tried to use the E-Z Poxy hardener. It had turned into a big lump of Jell-O, and was basically unusable. 

Looking into the hardener canister

This had me a little concerned since this stuff is not cheap, and it's only 4 months old. 

I had read that this might happen if the container is kept in a cold environment, but this year we have had an unusually warm winter, and my shop never got below 50℉ (10℃), nevertheless... there IT was.
Tracy, at Aircraft Spruce, hinted that heating up the hardener to 120℉ (49℃) would probably return it to usable conditions. 
Still skeptical, and expecting the worst, I decided to give it a try with a small scale test on the little container I employ for ratio testing, itself afflicted by this apparently infectious condition.

Coagulated hardener

You can see the video I took of this experiment below.





UPDATE #1:

I heated up the canister of hardener to 120℉ as directed, and it worked beautifully.


Heating up the hardener to 120℉

Compare the way it looked in the pictures above, to the way it looks now.





UPDATE #2:

CP 29 page 5 states that this temperature should have been between 160℉ to 190℉  (71℃ to 88℃). 

Check out Epoxy 103 for more details



UPDATE #3:

Apparently the resin can crystallize as well. 


Resin solidifying

Solidified resin (later melted back with heat)


Just follow the procedure highlighted above.


No comments:

Post a Comment