Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Ch 24 - Covers/Fairings/Consoles

Map pocket


Tired of loosing papers in the cockpit, I finally decided to do something about it. Here's a removable 3D printed ABS map pocket (version #1)...


As it printed, supports and all.

Biggest issue was removing all the supporting structure

Quite some time later

A few of the items I regularly carry loose in the cockpit

The holes are there mostly to help me remove the internal support.

A view from the inside of the sidewall

With a 6" depth, the checklist sticks out just enough to be easy to grab, yet not interfere with my forearm.

I suppose if I had had a manual speed brake this pocket might not have fit

The map pocket weighs in at only 43 grams

What used to be wasted space, is now a much appreciated new feature.

The money shot

After flying with it for the past five hours, I have to say "I love it!", and I wish I had done it sooner.

Not having to fart around looking for a lost piece of paper when you need it the most has already reduced one source of stress in the cockpit, and my checklist is now always in the same place, a quick motion away from getting deployed.

The cockpit is now neater and better organized, and to date I have not yet identified a single drawback to this mod. I would highly recommend it to any Long EZ owner.

Version #2 has already been printed. This fixes some minor bugs and makes the structure slightly more robust by introducing a few fillets here and there. Having said that, I am still flying with v1 for the time being. The hot swap will take place soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment