Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Ch 10 - Canard - Part 2

Shear web (13.3 hrs)

After unbolting the lift tabs (CLT) it was evident that some cleanup was necessary.


Cured micro overflow

Sanding unfortunately scraped off the Alodine protective coating of the inserts (CLI).


CLI insert and micro after sanding

So, I used primer on the tabs to protect the metal.


Priming the tabs

CLI tab with primer


Putting Saran wrap into the CLI holes prevented epoxy from entering them while fiberglassing.


Saran wrap rolled into a cylinder filling one of the CLI holes

Saran wrap will be removed after fiberglassing

Talking about fiberglass, there was a lot of it to be cut, but with the table taken over by the canard and its jig, I had to move the fuselage outside so that I could cut the cloth on the floor.


I would suggest doing this on the big table before building the canard jig. Sigh!

Nine plies each will cover the CLI inserts
These 4x8 BID plies will be the last cover over the CLI inserts

Following my friend Wade’s lead, I pre-pregged all of the shear web fiberglass on the table, then transferred it to the foam cores.


Getting the plastic ready for pre-pregging

Micro-slurry being applied over the foam cores

Six layers of fiberglass stacked in the proper order covered with epoxy

Epoxy spread to all fiberglass while embedded within plastic sheets

Pre-pregged fiberglass being applied to the foam cores

Plastic removed, fiberglass smoothed out and air bubbles free (after a lot of work).

Lastly, I added the 9 BID plies over the CLI tabs, and a final 4"x8" ply of BID over those.


Nine 4"x1.5" BID plies (times two) to go over the CLI inserts.

I used flox instead of micro to smooth the 9 plies transition

Final ply going over the inserts

Shear wed completed, or so I thought.


Lastly, I peel plied the whole thing and went to bed.

3" wide peel-ply going the long way is just perfect for this

The next morning, after removing the peel-ply I realized that I placed the last 4"x8" BID ply 90ยบ off from the plans. Not knowing if this might become an issue, I decided to add another BID ply the right way this time, and just suck up the one day delay this would entail due to the cure cycle.


Note how the last BID ply goes all the way down to the bottom of the foam

Additional plies oriented correctly

Adding epoxy to the new "last ply"

Peel-ply covering it all, as usual.



No comments:

Post a Comment